Tips for picking the perfect watermelon:
- The watermelon should be heavy for its size and uniform in shape.
- Look at the ‘belly of the watermelon’ (where the watermelon rested on the ground while growing). It will have a lighter coloured splotch. If it’s a creamy yellow, it’s ripe.
- The watermelon should be dark green in colour and have a dull appearance.
- Give it a tap. If it has a deep hollow sound, it’s ripe.
- 4 cups, cubed watermelon
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup basil
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Prepare your balsamic reduction so it has time to cool before being poured over the watermelon. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add honey and vinegar and heat until syrupy (about 10 minutes). Stir constantly to avoid burning. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Cube watermelon and add to serving bowl.
- Juice lime and pour over watermelon.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add crumbled feta and your basil after you have sliced it into long thin strips.
- Pour balsamic reduction over salad (you will have extra left over that will store in your fridge – great for caprese salad/skewers, sandwiches and pizza).