I have been eating Keto for about a month and for the most part I don’t miss the sugar or the higher carbs, but there are some things that I do miss – topping that list are pierogies, fresh bread, lentil soup and copious amounts of wine…. I’m slowly starting to find alternatives to my beloved foods that can help alleviate the cravings. Although this version of pierogies is not quite the same as our beloved usual recipe, Sophie’s Pierogies, it was still good and kept me on track.
Keto Pierogies (makes 12)
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup sharp cheese
- salt and pepper
- Chop up your cauliflower into smaller florets and place in a large baking dish to roast.
- Toss cauliflower in olive oil to coat
- Place your cauliflower in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Once cauliflower is tender, remove from oven.
- Place roasted cauliflower in food processor along with butter and cream. If you don’t have a food processor you can use a kick-ass blender such as a Ninja or Vitamix or a simple immersion blender. Blend until smooth, adding more cream/butter if necessary to get your desired texture.
- Add cheese of your choice (I like a nice aged cheddar)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This is one of those recipes where you need to read it through first and follow the directions to the letter or you will end up with wasted ingredients and a mess of epic proportions. Trust me on this one.
- 2 cups super fine blanched almond flour
- 2 cups shredded full fat mozzarella cheese (if it is not full fat, your cheese and butter will not combine)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- Combine the mozzarella cheese and butter in a medium bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir, then microwave another minute.
- Stir until fully combined and cool for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the egg and egg yolk until combined.
- Add the almond flour and stir with a large spoon until combined.
- Turn out dough onto smooth surface (or parchment paper) and knead until a semi-stretchy dough is formed. (if the dough is too wet, add a tablespoon or more of almond flour until workable)
- Divide dough into 12 equal sized pieces and roll into a ball
- Flatten balls into circles about 4″ in diameter
- Place small amount of mashed cauliflower in centre and fold over, sealing the edges.
- Allow pierogies to chill for 15 minutes to help firm up the dough. They can then be either fried or frozen for later use.
Serve with sauerkraut and bacon bits and get ready to loosen your belt a notch if you think you can eat the same amount of these as regular pierogies!